Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Dear Dad

Dear dad, 

It’s been like a month that I have been missing you and mom more than ever. At times when I am left alone I remember you and mom all of a sudden, I get reminded of the shaft of wind I felt in Seattle; in your home in our home. I miss waking up to the warm pancakes and coffee. I miss the pleasure of being carefree and getting pampered. I miss me being lazy and sleeping in your mustang yet getting woken up with “Gosh you snore a lot” (hey that’s so not true). I miss our craziness in Leavenworth. Every time I wear the hoodie you gave me, I miss you more. 

We hadn’t spent much time together but every time I see pictures of you, mom and Ayden all the memories come gushing in. Maybe it is because you were completely different from the conventional American parents I had imagined of or the media had portrayed as. I had imagined an individualistic family to welcome me but I got parents whom I could hug and share my problems with. I got a dad who said that I could bring my boyfriend in his home if I wanted to run away and he would get me married (I laugh every time I remember that)

When mom bought food for her going to be son in law, when you drove the homeless guy back to his place, when mom was so worried about Mia’s condition and you were complaining about the vet, when your tables were filled with books on parenting and when you were so worried about Ayden I could find no difference in between you and other South Asian parents. At the end when it came to speaking language of love both worlds reacted similarly.
I still remember you had asked me when I was playing with Mia and Ayden “Would you cry if I died?” I had said yes I would and you had smiled. I meant that at that point too and I mean that today as well. Thank you for making me a part of your family.

At this point of time I so wish I was besides you. I really mean it. Nevertheless, you both will rock as grandparents. Ayden is hell of a lucky boy that he has you two besides.

Lots of love,
Your daughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment